Intermediate Spanish
"Mi memoria mas feliz con mi 'familia' fue cuando no
había electricidad y Hannah y yo hicimos un luz con una lampara, linea, y duct
tape. Entonces, nuestras
"hermanos" y nosotras coloramos en libros con plumas y crayones. Yo escuché musica con los chicos y Rosita y
yo bailamos. Fue muy divertido y
nosotros reimos mucho. Tambien, Rosita
le gusta sonreir en lugar de hablar.
Nosotras tuvimos muchos momentos de conocimiento. En la noche, Hannah, Rosita y yo mirabamos
"Hasta El Fin del Mundo." Juntos, nosotros nos conocimos muy bien y
tuvimos un buen tiempo."
- Kaitlyn, Sophomore, Pennsylvania
Translation:
"My happiest memory with my host family was
when there was no electricity and Hannah and I made light with a flashlight,
line, and duct tape. The , or host
brothers and we colored in books with markers and crayons. I listened to music with the boys, and Rosita
and I danced. It was really fun and we
laughed a lot. Also, Rosita likes to
smile instead of talking. We had lots of
bonding moments. At night, Hannah,
Rosita, and I watched 'Hasta el Fin del Mundo' (a telenovela). We got to know
each other really well, and had a good time."
Beginning Spanish
- Maddy, Sophomore, California
Translation:
"An improtant moment for me was when I had
a conversation with my host mother. Her
name is Carla. We had lots of
conversations, but this time, we talked about women and girls in
Nicaragua. She said that when a girl is
fifteen years old, she is ready for a baby.
Many girls are pregnant when they are 13, 14, 15 years old. The fathers of the babies are 19 or 20 years
old in general. She said that she thinks
it is very sad because the girls are so young."
Literature:
My train is moving forward
and yet I am looking back
sunken eyes focused on the shrinking
horizon
As all the faces I know become fog
I am rolling
The lines on these maps become the
lines on my face
I am growing
like the tree that sits outside
my old window
My branches are reaching forward
but my roots are lingering back
What will happen if this train
keeps going?
What will happen when this
train stops?
I am rolling
If what waits for me, finds me
will I be home?
Poem by Katy, Junior, Illinois
Rap-master Madeline, Senior, Washington wrote this the other day:
Let's talk about immigration
Specifically into the United States
Nation
And I know this subject brings
Frustration
Especially with all the deportation
Families are experiencing separation
During their journey for liberation
And even at their working station
They may notice segregation
So what's with all the immigration?
And why to our unfair nation?
Everyone involved can't
escape the frustration
And there's a noticeable growth in
deportation
Our country's experiencing separation
And is losing liberation
So we'll buy our kid the new play station
So they won't notice the segregation
Creative math moments:
Hi! Just finished up a sweet global class...here's a
tidbit
Our unit on immigration culminated with a mock conference on immigration policy in the U.S. in which students used their persuasive public speaking skills to argue various approaches to immigration reform. Maddy, McKinley and Katy presented the subcommittee (Izzy, Sadie, and Sarah Jane) with this cartoon to support their argument that the U.S. should address root causes to make immigration unnecessary.
Happy earth day 🌎
Last week in History class, students interviewed hotel staff on the political systems,
land disputes, and other interesting subjects to learn about Costa
Rica. One of the more fascinating discussions was hearing Costa Rican
perspectives on the San Juan River debate after listening to Nicaraguan views
during the homestays. Up next students will explore why the nation has no
military, what historical context surrounded that decision, and how it affects
the country.



No comments:
Post a Comment